.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

kHSw

Saturday, December 09, 2006

RealVNC and Windows Vista Home Premium

On my portable I have a Windows Vista Business installed, at my desktop I have a Windows Vista Home Premium running. After a day of hard work, I just love to sit on the couch with my portable (and my wife ;-) ) reading emails on my desktop. In Windows XP I always used RealVNC to take over my desktop. Since Remote Desktop (server) is not available in the Home-editions, I installed RealVNC on the desktop.

The first thing I encountered was that Windows Defender had the intention to block RealVNC. I created a rule to ignore this 'potentially unwanted behaviour'. I also added a rule to the Windows Firewall to allow incoming connections to winvnc4.

However, I could not connect to my desktop on port 5900. I tried using another port and I even disabled the Windows Firewall. It's still a mystery why the service didn't accept connections with the firewall turned off. I didn't had the time (I was quite tired after a day of hard work), so I tried to find a quickfix.

I unregistered the VNC Service and I started the VNC Server in User Mode. Tada, the connection succeeded! But why couldn't the Server accept any connections in Service Mode???

3 Comments:

  • Windows Vista includes a new "feature" called session 0 isolation that is basically designed to prevent services (like VNS Server) from accessing the console.

    See http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/12/13/workaround-to-run-vnc-server-in-windows-vista/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:10 AM  

  • Thank you kHSw I was looking for a way to make VISTA work with VNC and your solution is the only one I found.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:57 PM  

  • very nice thx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Stefanie Worm is het liefste vrouwtje van de wereld.
Melina is de liefste schatsie van de wereld (Erik De Maeyer).