.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

kHSw

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Windows Vista RC2 install.wim

This weekend I downloaded Windows Vista RC2. I created a DVD out of the image and tried to install it in a virtual machine. After a few minutes, I got an error message ''Windows cannot open the required file E:\Sources\install.wim. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation.".

The file was available on the DVD and could be read. I visited a forum where someone suggested to write the DVD at the lowest speed possible. I gave it a try, but still the same error.


Since DVD's are too expensive in Belgium due to the unfair Auvibel-tax (*1), I tried mounting the image use Alcohol 120%. The install continued without any hickups...

If you're also having this error during installation, I would strongly advise to mount the image instead of downloading the image over and over again and toasting a whole spindle of DVD's.


*1 : Due to this Auvibel tax, I (and everyone else buying DVD's in Belgium) have to pay the music industry 0,714 euro (about 0,895 dollar) for every DVD I use. Why do I have to pay them for burning beta-software???

10 Comments:

  • I burn image on DVD and I have the same problem during installation, then I mount ISO image with Virtual DAEMON and it works fine.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:16 PM  

  • I intstalled it under Virtual PC 2007 beta, this way you don't have to burn it to CD as Virtual PC can install directly from the image.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:07 PM  

  • I had this problem too. It worked after the 4th time I tried it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 PM  

  • I'm having this problem now with Vista RC2 and Virtual Server 2005, and I *am* using a virt CDROM mounted by virtual server from an image. ....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 PM  

  • I burn a DVD-R with Alcohol 120% (4x Speed) and work!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:11 AM  

  • Please help me... im getting the same error but i am doing a clean install.... how do i boot from a virtual drive?


    please email me: long_john_jake89@hotmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 AM  

  • Hi i have the same error but i do not know how to mount the image can some one help me please?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 PM  

  • The problem is because there have been added or modified a file on the dvd... then install.wmi wont work. Use google to find the answer ;-) .. i have sucessfuly installed at windows vista on vmware / virual server / virtual pc and other virutal systems.
    Regards

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 PM  

  • Hi,

    I had the smae problem ...finally burnt the ISO at a low speed (x8times instead of x16) and the installation went smoothly !!

    cheers
    Ratish

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 AM  

  • Hi,
    I am having the same problem i cant get vista installed anyhow.I have used daemon,alcohol but no use same error then i used my physical drive to boot and still its not working.now i am going burn another dvd with the lowest speed and try.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Stefanie Worm is het liefste vrouwtje van de wereld.
Melina is de liefste schatsie van de wereld (Erik De Maeyer).