.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

kHSw

Sunday, November 28, 2004

How do I stop My Documents window from opening at startup?

This is a question I received a while ago. After an upgrade to Windows XP SP2 the 'My Documents' folder always opened when Windows was started.
I ran msconfig, but couldn't find anything suspicious... After a while I found out there was something wrong with the 'userinit'-key in the registry.
The value of this key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit) was C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe.
Changing this key to only C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe solved the problem.

5 Comments:

  • I had the same problem and used solution under HKCU and HKLM UserInit, and it worked.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 AM  

  • I had the same problem and it fixed it - thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 PM  

  • i had the same problem. in the registry there was userinit.exe,EXPLORER.exe.keeping only userinit.exe solved the problem.Thanks...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:11 PM  

  • I had the same problem, this solution solved it.Thanks

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:46 AM  

  • can you give me a step by step guide to correct this

    By Blogger stainless7, at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Stefanie Worm is het liefste vrouwtje van de wereld.
Melina is de liefste schatsie van de wereld (Erik De Maeyer).